Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Ram Run to Flagstaff...

My pal, Kathy LeFevre, and I traded rams... We'll blame it on the economy, but I think we just wanted to have an excuse to feel fleeces and eat fried apples and grits at the Cracker Barrel.
I thought you might enjoy some of the photos from the adventure.
And an adventure it was...
I took a load of first-cutting alfalfa to sell on the Rez along the way. I thought that might help out some folks there and pay for the fuel...
Great idea in concept, but entirely different in result...

(This first shot is between Moab and Monticello. I forget the name of the formation. Good shots for snapping them while I was driving...)

I neglected to take the whipping gusts of monsoon winds into account that ripped the top two layers of the stack, and left the cargo straps dragging along...
~Poof!~ Green clouds of alfalfa, now dust in the wind.

I met Bill and Donna from Indiana, riding their motorcycle across the Southwest for vacation. They stopped and helped me restack the remaining twenty-eight bales that weren't green dust making it's way back to Colorado in the wind. Awesome folks! Lord bless them!

Here's a shot from Monument Valley.
Had a blast at Ralph and Kathy's. Great folks! I wish I had taken time to stop and visit with Lois at Tuba City... I was in a hurry at that point and figured the admission staff would catch on that I was feigning a broken arm to talk about sheep with their radiologist. : D

2 comments:

  1. Isn't Utah the most hauntingly beautiful place? I miss visiting Molly there. I hope some living things enjoyed some of the alfalfa that settled in the sand. For you is was like looking at $$$ blowing in the wind tho. I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like something that would happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a great visit with you, too, Jared. I was just sorry about the Big Hay Fiasco. Yup, those monsoons can really battle anything they come across.
    And those are some really nice photos you took along the way! Marybeth B. used to live in the Sedona area and told me she thought this area was like "looking at the bones of the Earth.". I had never thought of it that way, but she's right. It also give you an appreciation for all the peoples living in those area, eeking out livings on that land with small intense gardens as water is so precious.
    I sure hope you stop in if you're headed this way to your grandmother's. :)

    ReplyDelete